Sunday, September 13, 2009

Click, click, BOOM

Spent an amazing rainy afternoon getting made up and having my picture taken for my pageant headshots. A former PR student, who's work I'd seen and really liked, is a photographer. Krystal McKinley (formerly Parry) owns Joley Photography and Sweet Tart Pinups and who knew, a MAC artist. So not only did I feel like I got a makeover, but the pics are awesome.


Her studio, though part of her apartment, was huge and airy and just the right feel of industrial in downtown Norman. The set up is all professional but the sitting was entirely fun. We played with several looks and dresses I brought over and simply had a ball. I'm blessed to call her a friend and sponsor.


Seems I gain quite a few friends in my life, many of whom I would never expect at first. My dad had this ability as well because he was so easy to get along with. My mom doesn't know any stangers either as my previous blog shows. When my dad died, the Trisagion service was packed. (It's similar to a Catholic wake without the alcohol.) It took a good hour and a half to greet everyone in the condolences line. For anyone who's stood in these lines, you get to a point where you've heard every type of "I'm sorry for your loss" and the awkwardness is too much. But every person in that line was a new blessing, another link to my dad. Like a fine, invisible web, we are all bound to each other.


I "met" another person recently through the Pancreatic Cancer Network who blew me away with her enthusiasm for killing this disease. I hope the webbing connecting us becomes stronger. Pamela Acosta Marquardt is a founder of the PanCan Network as well as the director of donor and corporate relations. Her amazing story and desire actually made me cry and feel like I've never done anything worthwhile to get rid of the disease that took my dad. I hope to keep in touch with her and gain a better understanding of how to fight pancreatic cancer with everything possible.



It HAS to be done.

No comments: