Friday, September 11, 2009

What have I gotten myself into?

As of Sept. 10, 2009, I am now known as Mrs. Cleveland County International 2010. This pageant for Mrs. Oklahoma International is keeping me on my toes in more ways than one! I've had to manage my time even more and am finding little bits of time which can be used when I'm not at work or spending family time. For instance, the boys are taking a nap before the Sooners game against Idaho State and here I am.

The hardest thing about any of this is finding the funding and sponsorships. Honestly though, I've found that just asking nicely can get you further than you could hope for. For instance, my mom took me shopping this week to see what kinds of gowns are available. We stopped by Crossroads Mall in OKC because of a dress shop she use to frequent. The mall is VERY empty. There are still live shops and a few straggling shoppers but not much else to speak of. The lonely carousel with it's colored ponies and mythical creatures spun without a single rider. The attendant was so bored, he watched a small tv while leaning against the fence, waiting for the lucky kid who had a choice of any seat on the ride.

On the way up the stairs, we saw a brightly lit store that seemed straight out of a fairy tale. Every concievable dress color and fabric hung on dummies and packed tightly together! Forgetting our original destination, we headed for the shimmer of satin. Some of the dresses were out of my little girl dreams of being a princess. I wanted to try on everything! I had to be strategic though, as we had limited time and Corbin was NOT about to let his mommy drag him to many stores. He found a way to entertain himself was hiding in the many racks of formals. I lost him on occassion in The Laughing Fish. Appropriate name for the store as I'm a Pisces and definitely felt like giggling like a 6-year-old.

My mom is my biggest fan and told the owner of the shop all about the pageant, what I was doing it for and how it might do her some good to be a sponsor. Without hesitation, Ms. Tonya Wistrand became my fairy godmother. She had several girls help me pick out the right dresses and colors. I picked two in particular and not only did she practically GIVE me one of them, she threw in a beautiful crystal bracelet and matching beaded bag and even some silver shoes!

Cinderella is born.

3 comments:

Dutcher Family said...

Your right! Mama 'is' your biggest fan! You have been a joy to watch grow into the beautiful young woman you are today. Spiritual, compassionate, accomplished, and a wonderful wife and mother.
Havin PANCAN.org as your platform, I can see your daddy with his fist raised in the air and yelling "Go, Heather, Go! Let's find a cure for Pancreatic Cancer before my fathers and mothers are taken from them."
I love you and you make me so proud! xxMUAHxx Mama

N Tindall said...

I know that store! It's one of the few bright spots in Crossroads Mall. Good luck with this journey. Let me know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

You are a beautiful and caring person who has many roles as a friend, wife, mother, daughter-in-law and young professional. You are seen as an individual who will give her best to promote pancreatic cancer awareness.

Best wishes.

Mom